Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 172

© Peter Mitchell
I went out to Pigeon Lake this morning and found that the ice had broken and been pushed up along this section of shore. These blocks are about 8 inches thick and the one on the left is standing 4 or 5 feet tall. It must have been something to see this happening. Apparently it happened a few days after the first real freeze, and I was there a couple of days after it had frozen. So I just missed it. Lots of interesting shapes.

In the distance is one of the first ice fishing shacks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting Peter. I thought the object in the centre of the picture, far away, really brought some perspective on how large these ice blocks are. I also like that I can see the reflection of the snow on the block to the left. There is lots to see in this photograph.. yasmine